25 January, 2016

Open Question to Trump Supporters

I admit I don't understand the Trump phenomenon.  I hope a Trump supporter will explain it to me.  I'm open to being convinced, but I just don't see a lot to like about that guy or his approach to the Presidency.

I get that there's a lot of frustration right now with the direction of the country.  From economic to foreign policy, the current administration leaves a lot to be desired.  Unfortunately, I don't think Donald Trump is the right person for the job.  

I have never heard Donald Trump talk about the Constitution, limits on executive power, or what his guiding principles as a leader would be.  I suspect he doesn't have any firm principles; his convictions are decided issue-by-issue, and he does what he thinks is best.

News flash - so does President Obama.  And that's my real problem with Trump - it's 'new boss same as the old boss'; another egotistical person sitting in the White House who thinks he/she has all the answers.  I don't want a Monarch to 'do what he thinks is best'.  I want a leader who will respect the limits of the office, uphold the laws that have been passed, and work with Congress to improve those laws that need improving (not 'go it alone' with his pen and a phone).  

Beyond governing philosophy, I think it's embarrassing how Trump responds to any criticism with personal attacks (Oh yeah, well, you're stupid, you have bad hair, you're weak, you're falling in the polls, your magazine is dying, etc. - all actual responses from Trump in response to criticism).  

So, to recap - the Republican headliner is an unlikable guy who attacks anyone who disagrees with him like a middle schooler, describes no guiding principles and has an approach to the Presidency that can be summed up as "I'll do it better".  

What a disgrace.   

No comments: