02 March, 2009

Finally

Finally, something upon which President Obama and I can agree...

President Obama's Attorney General, Eric Holder, recently mentioned that the administration wishes to reinstate the Assault Weapons Ban that expired in 2004.  (Click here to learn more about the ban).  Assault weapons have no private legitimate purpose.  They are not used for hunting, and are not practical for personal defense.  They do, however, represent a significant threat to citizens and police officers.  While I generally oppose the government selecting what items I can and cannot own, I believe the freedom lost in this case is far outweighed by the increased in general safety.  I was disappointed when the Republican led congress allowed this clause to expire - kudos to the President for looking to take action on this matter.


No comments: