24 August, 2008

Thoughts on Biden

I congratulate Senator Obama on his choice of Vice President.  Honestly, I am frustrated by his choice because I believe Senator Biden brings legitimacy to the Democratic ticket in a year when I am VERY against the Democratic nominee.  I believe Joe Biden was the strongest candidate in the primaries (at least at the debates I saw) but was never able to pull enough attention away from Clinton and Obama.  Had he been selected as the Democratic nominee I would have seriously considered voting another way despite policy disagreements because I believe Senator Biden is a thoughtful, experienced politician and a good man (from what I can tell).  I recognize "Good Night's" concerns, and Biden does have a track record of verbal gaffes, but I think this is an excellent choice for VP - in fact the best choice available.  I give Senator Obama a lot of credit for picking a running mate that is truly worthy of the office rather than the person who can give him the biggest lift due to demographic or geographic reasons (we'll see if John McCain can do the same).  I put my faith in Senator Biden to help Senator Obama make smart decisions should they be victorious in November.

No comments: